Sunday, August 9, 2009

Like Mother Like Son

I have being trying to figure out what to do for Karl's birthday since the beginning of July. It's not til September 4th but I wanted to be prepared. I finally decided on a surprise camping trip. Then Karl's family invited us to go camping with them at a place called Moon Lake. Unfortunately we couldn't go because I had to work. Then inspiration stuck. I was going to take him before his birthday anyways, why not go somewhere nice that he really wants to go to?


So I devised a surprise. I got two days off of work, packed everything in the car while Karl was at work, got directions, made cupcakes, and thought I did a pretty good job keeping everything secret. Apparently I was wrong. Karl got suspicious somehow. I had been texting Tony to get things coordinated. He checked my phone, I'd erased everything but he knew something was up.



Apparently he gets it from Ann. I've heard stories that she is very good at figuring things out. Anyways. When it was time to leave I tried to trick him by running to the bank and library before he dropped me off for work. Then I insisted on driving and we went up the canyon instead. Karl was so happy. He said he had been excited about it all morning and was wondering when we were going to leave. Good thing we were really going or else he would have been really disappointed. I threw him off a little with the charade before work and he didn't know it was a birthday surprise but other than that he figured it all out. Lesson learned? Don't try and surprise Karl. It won't work.


But we had a really great time. We went fishing right when we got there. Alicia caught the first fish of the night and we were all lucky enough to catch something. My fish was tiny but hey, it was something. We had corn on the cob over the fire that night. I'd never had that before and it was AMAZING. It has become a new camp favorite.


We spent the next day on the beach. It was a little cold and only Karl was "brave" enough to get in. We went rafting, Alicia made a sand mountain, and we were able to just relax. Then came the fishing. Tony rented a motor boat and we went out again. It was a really beautiful area. It took us a really long time to catch the first fish but once again it was Alicia who got it. I guess she is just the best. She was the first both days. Tony and Karl caught a few as well. Then it was time to head back home. That was our big summer fun so far.

1 comment:

  1. You guys always look so romantic and cute together. Especially in all your pictures. I love it. Oh...the life of newlyweds, before kids. I miss it sometimes. (Not that I don't adore my kids, but it's rough to feel romantic when your hauling three kids around with ya!) Enjoy it while it lasts!

    What a good idea for a birthday present. I can't ever surprise James either.Don't feel bad. It must be the whole family. I don't even try anymore. Tell Karl, if I was there, I would have for sure been the first to catch the fish! He remembers what a good little fisherwoman I am. He would've been makin' me some breakfast!

    ReplyDelete