Friday, September 17, 2010

The Green Bug is Back

Last semester we did our nursing clinicals at a nursing home. I got to work with this old man with dementia. He would tell me the same stories over and over, verbatim. And everytime I would walk into his room he would say "The Greeeen Buug. Your hair's on fire." He was such a sweet heart. So now clinicals are back and so are the green scrubs. This time however, we are in the hospital.

I get to go to American Fork, which is really nice because it is a lot closer to home than Provo, especially at 5:45 in the morning. This week I was in the med/surg unit. I really lucked out. My nurse was great and the patients were so nice. I want to adopt one of them as a grandma. She was so much fun. I really enjoyed myself and got to do a lot of new things. I gave some shots, which I have practiced on an orange but these were my first human injections. And insert a catheter. That was an experience. You couldn't see where it was even supposed to go because the patients anatomy was a little different. But I was successful so it was a great experience. Next week I'm in the ER so we'll see how that goes. It should be a little more intense and exciting. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! Way to go with the sticks and a catheter... You dont get those chances everyday... For some reason the nurses forget that there are students around that could use the practice--or maybe that is just the way it is here... I dont know that Id complain about green scrubs... I sure am not much a fan of looking like a giant tomato, or fire hydrant, or strawberry... (our scrubs are all red) they do a great job of accentuating the red spots on my face, the bloodshot eyes (after studying and prepping all night and then getting a tiny bit of sleep)and they really show the blushing when you get nervous infront of the Dr. and pts... But hey... pretty soon well get to wear cute scrubs :)
    Anyway... Ill definately send you my good luck wishes. With Nursing School you can never get too many good lucks

    ReplyDelete