Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Quilting Distress

I have been wanting to make a quilt for awhile. When Cami told me about a fabric sale online I couldn't help myself. I picked out some fabric and I got it. The problem with online means I don't actually get to see the fabric before I get it. I ordered 6 different fabrics so I could do squares of blue and brown. Half of my fabrics were different than I was planning. One looked about the same, the print was just a lot bigger than I was expecting. Another I thought was blue with thin light purple stripes for more color, but alas no. It was just light blue stripes, but I still like it so that was fine. The other fabric however, I'm not even sure if I can use. I thought it was a dark brown with cream flowers. Instead it is a red, chestnut brown with a weird green. The brown doesn't match anything and I have no other green in the quilt. So I'm a little stumped as to what to do with that one.
Anyways, now is the dilemma of how to design the quilt. Here are a few of my ideas. Tell me what you think. I'm horrible at making decisions.

Karl said he liked bigger squares than the small ones so here's one with big squares only. But he said he didn't really care as long as the back was just one color. The backing is going to be the darker blue and I was planning on using it for the binding as well. So here are two other options that have more varied sized squares.

One that's random. (By the way, the square on this one have the fabric designs more in proportion. See how the tan one with cat-tailish flowers has such a big print)And one with more of a patternIf you have an opinion of which one you think is better or if none of them are very good please let me know. I've never been very good at designing or making things look cute. Please help!

4 comments:

  1. I like the second one the best (this is Rachelle, just using Aaron's account)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like the first, but they all would be fine, really. PS... James and I were thinking of going to Delicate Arch on Friday. How long did it take?? Is there somewhere better to go that you guys know of? Also, nice demolition pictures! I've always wanted to go, but never have. And...Thanks for the delicate dots idea. I switched mine this morning. My cutest blog on the block has been missing for a few days! I really think the quilt is going to be darling! How are you going to bind yours? I'm not very smart when it comes to sewing....especially quilting! I may need some input!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the third one the best but it definately looks more complicated...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simpleness of the first one but if you are up for it do the second one! It looks like fun but definitely a bit more complicated. are the yellow stripes on the first one going to be a little strip of fabric or like ribbon appliqued on? Just curious. I think it's great that you are designing your own quilts!!! I hope I asnwered your question well enough on facebook. Let me know if there's anymore I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete